Open & closing dates: 08/30/2019 to 09/13/2019
Pay scale & grade: GS 14
Salary: $104,821 to $156,758 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
21 vacancies in the following locations:
Van Nuys, CA
This position is located in the Office of the Chief Immigration Judge in multiple Immigration Courts. Selectee will serve as a Court Administrator (CA) responsible for managing the full range of CA responsibilities. The incumbent will oversee all administrative and managerial functions necessary to maintain and facilitate Immigration Court operations.
This is a Competitive Service position; additional positions may be filled from this announcement within 90 days of certificate issuance.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
NOTE: Applicants are limited to applying for only two locations.
In order to qualify for the Supervisory Legal Administrative Specialist (Court Administrator) position, you must meet the following time in grade requirements and minimum qualifications:
TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENTS: Merit promotion applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year at the 13 level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the 14 level. (Please submit your SF-50 that shows Time-in-Grade eligibility and reflects your title, series, and grade. No Award or General Adjustment SF-50's will be accepted). Time-in-grade requirements also apply to VEOA applicants having held a GS position in the past year.
In order to qualify for the position, you must meet the following minimum qualifications:
Specialized experience: One year (12-months) of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service that demonstrates that I have experience in:
Managing a court docketing system;
monitoring the processing of court cases from the initial creation to final disposition;
managing a variety of court administrative functions, and
interpreting and applying knowledge of legal statutes, codes, regulations, administrative guidelines, and policies affecting the operations of a court.
Must be reflected in resume.
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s).
For more information on the qualifications for this position, click here.
This is a Competitive Service position; additional positions maybe filled from this announcement within 90 days of certificate issuance.
(Please submit your SF-50 that shows Time-in-Grade eligibility and reflects your title, series, and grade. No Award or General Adjustment SF-50's will be accepted). Time-in-grade requirements also apply to VEOA applicants having held a GS position in the past year.
This position is open to Competitive Merit Promotion, Non-Competitive, and Special Hiring Authority eligibles. You must meet the requirements for one of the following categories to be eligible.
1. A current permanent competitive service employee; former Federal employee who achieved career status in the competitive service; or former Federal employee who served on a career conditional appointment without achieving career status in the competitive service who was separated less than three years ago. You must submit an SF-50 that reflects career or career-conditional (Tenure field is 1 or 2); AND status in the competitive service (Position Occupied field is 1).
2. A Veteran applying under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA), must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing an honorable discharge. To be eligible, a veteran must be honorably separated and either a preference eligible or have substantially completed 3 or more years of active service. NOTE: Current career/career conditional federal employees applying under VEOA must submit a qualifying SF-50 to show they meet time-in-grade.
3. A 30% or more Disabled Veteran. You must submit your DD214, a completed SF-15, and letter from the VA dated 1991 or later.
4. Military spouses are eligible if their active duty military spouse: 1) receives a Permanent Change of Station move; 2) has a 100% disability rating; or 3) died while on active duty. Please submit supporting documentation.
5. Schedule A: DOJ welcomes and encourages applicants from persons with disabilities and is firmly committed to satisfying its affirmative obligations under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to ensure that persons with disabilities have every opportunity to be hired and advance on the basis of merit. Documentation of eligibility under Schedule A can be obtained from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (i.e. state or private); or any Federal agency, state agency, or agency of the District of Columbia or a U.S. Territory that issues or provides disability benefits. This letter must be separate from any Veterans Preference documentation.
6. A Former Peace Corps or VISTA Volunteers Appointment. Please submit documentation to be considered.
7. Veterans eligible for a Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA). You must submit a copy of your DD-214. NOTE: VRA only applies to positions at the GS-11 level and below.
8. Other non-competitive authorities (please see announcement language for applicable authorities).
9. A current or former Land Management Bureau employee who has served at least 24 months under a time-limited competitive appointment who is eligible for appointment under the Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act.
Active Duty Service Members-You must submit a statement of discharge/certification of release or an official written document from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty service under honorable conditions no later than 120 days from the date the certification is signed. Enlisted Record Briefs and military identification do NOT qualify as official documentation.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants applying under merit promotion procedures will be rated in accordance with the EOIR's Merit Staffing plan. Once the application process is complete, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed in this announcement. If you are minimally qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the Occupational Questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job If you are found to be among the top candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
You will be rated based on the following knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs) or competencies:
In order to be rated as meeting the minimum qualifications, we must be able to determine from your application package that you have the education and/or specialized experience that is required. Your resume MUST contain your full name, address, phone number, and employment information such as:
Employer name and location for each position held.
From and to dates (or from date to present for current position), which include the month and year for each position held.
Grade levels held for each federal position.
Detailed descriptions of experience under each position held. (Applicants must provide specific supporting examples to show that they meet the qualifications of the position shown in the announcement.)
Any submitted documents not required or requested for this vacancy will not be considered (i.e. training certificates, case filings, letter of recommendations, etc.).
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Required Documents Help
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package by the closing date of this announcement, which includes:
1. Your Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. (Please see the How You Will Be Evaluated section)
2. A complete Assessment Questionnaire
3. Other supporting documents (submit if applicable to you):
Current and Former Federal Employees: You are required to submit a Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) indicating your status and time-in-grade eligibility. This SF-50 should include your Position Title, Pay Plan, Occupational Code, and Grade or Level and must confer your status as a federal employee. If your eligibility for both merit promotion and/or time-in-grade cannot be determined, your application will be rated ineligible.
If you are a veteran and you are claiming veterans' preference you must submit a DD214,"Certificate of Release from Active Duty," which shows dates of service and discharge under honorable conditions. For competitive service positions, active duty service members expecting to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days: you may be granted tentative preference by submitting a "certification" document in lieu of a DD-214. This "certification" is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date of the submission of the certification. Veterans' preference must be verified prior to appointment. Without this documentation, you will not receive veterans' preference and your application will be evaluated based on the material(s) submitted.
If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference based on service-connected disability, in addition to the DD214 or certification requirements (see above bullet), you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference," plus the proof of entitlement of this preference, which is normally an official statement, dated 1991 or later, from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. For more information on veterans' preference, seehttp://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/.
Surplus or displaced employees eligible for CTAP/ICTAP priority must provide: proof of eligibility (RIF separation notice, notice of proposed removal for declining a transfer of function or directed reassignment to another commuting area, notice of disability annuity termination), most recent performance appraisal, SF-50 documenting separation (as applicable), and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, full performance level, and duty location with your application.
How to Apply
You must submit a complete application package by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of this announcement.
* To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire, which can be previewed here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10560418.
* Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
* It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
* To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
* To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.