The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit seeks applications from highly qualified individuals for a 14-year appointment as U.S. Bankruptcy Judge for the District of Columbia. The basic jurisdiction of a bankruptcy judge is specified in 28 U.S.C. §§ 152-159. The position is located in Washington, D.C. and will be available on March 23, 2020, pending successful completion of a background investigation. The current annual salary is $194,028.
To be qualified an applicant must:
1. Be a member in good standing of the bar of the highest court of at least one state, the District of Columbia, or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and a member in good standing of every other bar of which the applicant is a member.
2. (a) Possess and have a reputation for integrity and good character;
(b) possess and have demonstrated a commitment to equal justice under the law;
(c) possess and have demonstrated outstanding legal ability and competence;
(d) indicate by demeanor, character, and personality that the applicant would exhibit judicial temperament if appointed; and
(e) be of sound physical and mental health sufficient to perform the essential duties of the office.
3. Not be related by blood or marriage to a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C.Circuit or a judge on the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia within the degrees specified in 28 U.S.C. § 458 at the time of the initial appointment.
4. Have been engaged in the active practice of law or other law-related occupation for a period of at least five years.
5. Comply with financial disclosure requirements pursuant to the Ethics in Government Act of 1978, Pub. L. No. 95-521, 92 Stat. 1924 (1978) (codified as amended at 5 U.S.C. app.§§ 101-111).
6. Be willing to serve if selected.
The selection process will be confidential and competitive. Applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age (40 years and over), or disability unless such disability causes the applicant to be unable to perform the essential duties of the office. The application form may be obtained from the websites of the U.S. Court of Appeals for theD.C. Circuit (www.cadc.uscourts.gov), the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
(www.dcd.uscourts.gov), and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia(www.dcb.uscourts.gov). If you have any questions, contact Betsy Paret, Circuit Executive, at202.216.7340.
Applications must be submitted electronically to the Circuit Executive’s Office by midnight on Friday, November 15, 2019. A cover letter completed and signed application form, and related documents should be sent as PDF documents to this email address: [email protected]