Proposed Salary Range: $ 63,228.00 - $ 96,526.00 (Annual)
The Office of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (OEDI) is responsible for managing, monitoring and ensuring the integrity of DSNY’s equal employment opportunity program. This includes, but is not limited to, overseeing and managing all human rights investigations, providing reasonable accommodation and conducting EEO-related training for all employees.
The Department is seeking an Agency Attorney (Level I) to join its Office of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion. The Agency Attorney (Level I) will perform highly confidential and sensitive EEO investigations concerning alleged misconduct and violation of the City’s EEO policy by DSNY officials and/or employees. The Agency Attorney (Level I) will interview complainants, respondents and witnesses, examine and analyze employee records, maintain case records and prepare written reports. Under general supervision, with some latitude for independent action and decision, will perform work requiring a high degree of specialization and technical expertise. Interpret rules, regulations, and policies pertaining to DSNY and the City of New York.
• Investigate complaints of unlawful discrimination in the workplace;
• Prepare written summaries of investigations and recommendations for internal complaints;
• Investigate and prepare written responses to cases filed with external human rights agencies (e.g. EEOC, NYSDHR, NYCCHR);
• Attend public hearings before an external human rights administrative law judge;
• Mediate employee disagreements and provide advice and guidance to employees and management regarding difficult workplace situations;
• Conduct legal research on equal opportunity laws and regulation;
• Provide guidance to employees on complex and/or precedent setting matters;
• Counsel supervisory personnel and union members on how to identify and react to EEO related issues;
• Recommend areas for policy improvement to prevent discrimination;
• Conduct trainings and seminars for employees at all levels on Department policies and best practices regarding equity, diversity and inclusion.
DSNY is an equal opportunity employer and firmly adheres to the citywide EEO Policy. DSNY has zero tolerance for any type of employment discrimination and promotes equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the workplace.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Admission to the New York State Bar; and either "2" or "3" below.
2. One year of satisfactory United States legal experience subsequent to admission to any state bar; or
3. Six months of satisfactory service as an Agency Attorney Interne (30086).
Incumbents must remain Members of the New York State Bar in good standing for the duration of this employment.
In addition to meeting the minimum Qualification Requirements:
To be assigned to Assignment Level (AL) II, candidates must have one year of experience at Assignment Level I or two years of comparable legal experience subsequent to admission to the bar, in the areas of law related to the assignment. To be assigned to AL III candidates must have two years of experience in Assignment Levels I and/or II or three years of comparable legal experience subsequent to admission to the bar, in the areas of law related to the assignment.
• Ability to interact respectfully with all levels of DSNY and City employees.
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive documents and situations.
• Outstanding communication and writing skills.
• Ability to utilize Westlaw and Microsoft Office.
• Knowledge of employment law (e.g. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, etc.)
• Familiarity with external human rights agencies’ complaint process (e.g. EEOC, NYSDHR, NYCCHR).