Salary: $40,928.00 - $55,252.00 Annually
General Description: This is a paraprofessional position. The incumbent performs highly confidential, complex tasks assisting the Circuit Court Judges by providing a variety of legal services, skilled research and evaluation duties.
Organization: The Law Clerk reports to the Circuit Court Judges and supervises no staff.
• Reviews/prepares research memoranda concerning support, custody, visitation, equitable distribution and injunctions in domestic cases.
• Reviews and evaluates compliance with statutory and court procedure in divorce actions.
• Reads and evaluates depositions.
• Contacts attorneys regarding procedural irregularities and substantive deficiencies in depositions.
• Evaluates/discusses the priority of pendent lite orders, final decrees, garnishments and payroll deductions orders.
• Reviews Commissioner reports.
• Evaluates/prepares briefs and researches memoranda concerning motions, petitions and pre-trial documents.
• Observes oral arguments and trial presentations.
• Briefs and formulates issues judges.
• Reviews habeas corpus petitions.
• Performs bench research on issues arising in the course of court hearings, including questions as to evidence admissibility, case law and sentencing.
• Performs related work as assigned.
• None known
C. Physical Effort
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Requires knowledge of laws/regulations/procedures that govern the operation of the Circuit Court. Must understand the methods of legal research and its sources and materials. Knowledge of the principles and practices of substantive and procedural law, required. Must have the ability to research legal information fully and accurately to meet mandated timeframes. Must be able to analyze and organize complex legal and technical issues so as to make appropriate recommendations or to provide complete reports. Requires excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing.
Education, Experience and Training: Requires graduation from an accredited school of law.
• Limited Term
• Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting
• Twelve-month probationary period
Revision Date: January 2008
Special Instructions to Applicants
TERM OF APPOINTMENT AUGUST 1, 2021 TO JULY 31, 2022.
It is required that you attach a Resume', Cover Letter and Writing Sample to your application to be considered for this position.
If you are selected for this position, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE A COPY OF YOUR LAW DEGREE.