Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things.
Serving customers in over 100 countries, our research scientists and engineers continue to invent and accelerate new technologies that will increasingly transform the way people and things communicate and connect.
Nokia is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion.
At Nokia, employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
The Legal Counsel is responsible for legal strategies and policies, contracts, and related forms to support and ensure compliance with applicable laws. Day-to-day legal activities and negotiations. The Legal Counsel supports, guides and acts as Commercial Counsel to North America Customer Teams.
• Interprets critical internal or external business issues and develops innovative solutions that help to sustain competitive advantage.
• Defines processes and standards.
• Uses knowledge on how the job contributes to the corporate goals as well as knowledge of industry and competitive landscape to increase own effectiveness.
• Solves highly complex or novel problems based on sophisticated analytical thought and complex judgment.
• Works effectively with the commercial contract management team, sales team, and business groups to effectively draft and negotiate commercial agreements in support of Nokia’s business and to protect Nokia’s interests.
• Acts as a business partner to the assigned sales team(s).
• Facilitates professional negotiations.
• Defines and drives the specific customer strategy in close alignment with sales teams.
• Supports procurement in aligning contracts with suppliers.
• Provide contractual know-how throughout the organization.
• Supports contract changes, renegotiations and extensions with a customer where required.
• Supports and partners with the sales and delivery teams on customer-related contract concerns.
Scope & Contribution:
Individual Contributor: Independently carrying out consulting, specific functional work within a Business Unit/Geography. Assumes broad perspective. Resolves unique and highly complex problems within own discipline. Makes decisions about own and/or project work using known solutions as a basis.
Managerial/Supervisory: Typically second level of solid line management. Effective management of resources and development/implementation of plans and processes. Interprets policies and establishes procedures. Increased awareness and influence of other functions outside of own business area. Decision making often repeated in a similar manner - able to choose the correct solution or modify an existing solution.
Highly independent and self directed. Develops plans, measures effectiveness. Assesses customer relationships and service levels. Can develop and implement complex and innovative concepts. Problems require searching and selecting. Anticipates problems, seeks opportunities. Models creative and innovative work methods.
Communicates with parties within and outside of own job function, which may include external customers or vendors depending upon the job function. Requires ability to influence others outside of own job area on policies, practices and procedures. Has cross-cultural knowledge and global mindset. Works to influence others to accept job function’s view/practices and agree/accept new concepts, practices, and approaches. Requires influencing others outside of own job area on policies, practices and procedures, e.g. by expressing complex information in an engaging and inspiring manner.
Knowledge & Experience:
Management Experience / Mastery of a specific professional discipline combining deep knowledge of theory and practice within a function. Expert in more than one area, broad perspective. Typically requires 7-10 years of extensive relevant experience and/or a graduate / postgraduate equivalent degree.
• Juris Doctorate (JD) Degree from an accredited university
• Active license to practice law in at least one state of the United States, and in good standing with that state bar
• At least 7 years of relevant experience as an attorney
• Experience in drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements, preferably with experience in the telecommunication, software-as-a-service (SaaS), and cloud technologies.
• Preferably knowledge and experience with Federal, State & Local governmental contracts, including knowledge of and experience with US Government Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).
• Preferably experience in handling commercial disputes, including litigation.
• Customer focus and loyalty/Service Excellence/Quality
• Transparency and work ethics.