OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series D, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, Thrive Capital, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
We have surpassed 1,000+ governments (and growing fast!) using our products in our mission to power more effective and accountable government
OpenGov is looking for a recent law school graduate to join our legal team. As its second in-house counsel, you will be working with our General Counsel to address a broad range of legal matters. This is a diverse role and will include drafting and negotiating a wide range of commercial technology agreements including SaaS subscription, professional services, and partner agreements.
You will work closely with our Security and Compliance teams to address, plan for and implement initiatives to stay current on information security, privacy, and regulatory compliance. You will be called upon to resolve commercial disputes, support company inbound transactions, and manage our growing intellectual property portfolio. In summary, you will be a trusted legal advisor who counsels the OpenGov team through ever-evolving legal needs.
• Lead smart relationship focused negotiations that deliver value to both OpenGov and our customers
• Provide legal counsel on a broad range of legal issues, such as intellectual property and privacy law
• Engage with our M&A team to conduct due diligence on acquisition targets
• Continuously improve standard form agreements and legal processes
• Organize and manage all the Company’s legal documentation in DropBox and Google Drive
• J.D. degree from a top, ABA-accredited law school and member in good standing of at least one state bar
• At least 1 year (or 2 summer internships) of "hands on" experience drafting, negotiating, and providing guidance on a wide variety of technology transaction agreements
• Excellent written communication skills with the ability to express complex ideas in clear, straightforward prose
• Great at balancing legal compliance and risk with business priorities
• Adept at making and communicating difficult decisions to stakeholders
• Ability to provide guidance and advice to all audiences on a variety of legal issues
• An enthusiastic, hard-working, empathetic person, who works well cross functionally
• Team attitude that no job is too big or too small
• Ability to self-start and work independently
• Great judgment, attention to detail, interpersonal and communication skills
• Positive demeanor and a good sense of humor
• Working knowledge of MS Word and Excel, Slack, Gmail, DocuSign and Salesforce
• Understanding of SaaS or enterprise software industry business models
• Experience in negotiating, drafting and advising business on technology-related integrations and licensing, including multi-jurisdictional transactions
• Experience in drafting and negotiating vendor, independent contractor, non-disclosure, partnership, license, and other transactions agreements
• Understanding of data privacy regulations, information security, and security frameworks
• Familiarity with basic revenue recognition rules
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs and SF Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: $140 million, Series D company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Thrive Capital, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
» Growth: Double growth with 1,000+ governments (and counting) using our products!
» Perks: Fully stocked kitchens, daily breakfast and catered lunches, gym reimbursement, music room, zen room, foosball and pool table, Unlimited PTO and 11 paid holidays, 90% medical premium coverage for employees, fun events, and more!
» Product: Named a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, our cloud solution leverages cutting-edge technology to innovate on the core processes of Government.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company helping out our communities, cities, and states. We're powering more effective and accountable government.