Salary: $64,009 to $91,231 annually
Closing Date: 10/21/2020
The United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas is seeking a full‐time term law clerk position for U.S. Magistrate Judge Erin Wiedemann. The initial term of appointment will be one year and is subject to extension up to an additional three years.
Responsibilities of this position include the following:
• Research substantive issues of federal and state law. • Draft legal memoranda, opinions, and orders.
• Analyze statutes, regulations, and substantive issues in all areas of civil and criminal law.
• Perform case management and other administrative desk duties.
• Provide legal counsel and support to the judge.
• Exhibit the highest standards of excellence and integrity.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
For consideration, an applicant must be a law school graduate (or be certified as having completed all law school studies and requirements and merely awaiting conferment of degree) with an excellent academic record and excellent research and writing skills. The table below shows the number of years of legal work experience required for each Judiciary Salary Plan (JSP) grade level as well as annual salary information. Please note that appointment to JSP 12 or above requires that the applicant be a member of the bar of a state, territory, or federal court of general jurisdiction.
Legal work experience is progressively responsible experience in the practice of law, in legal research, legal administration, or equivalent experience received after graduation from law school. Major or substantial legal activities while on military duty may be credited, on a month-for-month basis whether before or after graduation, but not to exceed one year if before graduation.
Law Clerks appointed to term appointments for at least one year and one day are eligible for the following benefits:
• Ten (10) paid Federal holidays
• Health benefits under the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHB)
• Supplemental Dental and Vision Benefits under the Federal Employees Vision and Dental Plan (FEDVIP)
• Life insurance benefits under the Federal Employees Group Life Insurance Program (FEGLI) • Flexible Benefits Program for Health Care Reimbursement and Child Care Reimbursement
• Long Term Care Insurance through the Federal Judiciary or the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) *Term Law Clerks are not eligible to participate in the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) or Thrift Savings Plan (TSP).